Engineering & Mining Journal

APR 2018

Engineering and Mining Journal - Whether the market is copper, gold, nickel, iron ore, lead/zinc, PGM, diamonds or other commodities, E&MJ takes the lead in projecting trends, following development and reporting on the most efficient operating pr

Issue link: https://emj.epubxp.com/i/969780

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 59 of 91

IN-PIT CRUSHING & CONVEYING 58 E&MJ • APRIL 2018 www.e-mj.com Pipe Conveyors Minimize Environmental Impact Introduced in the 1970s, the pipe con- veyor has evolved as a solution for many of the drawbacks of the conventional troughed belt. Interactions between the environment and conveyed material (such as dust emissions and water absorption/ contamination due to rain or snow) are eliminated by encapsulating the material while in transportation. Further to the advantages of enclos- ing the material, pipe conveyors can have horizontally curved alignments, which al- lows for elimination of transfers thereby less emissions points, not to mention low- er maintenance requirements. Although TAKRAF has successfully developed curved trough conveyors for high-capac- ity overland conveyors, the radii can be much smaller for pipe conveyors, which is advantageous for negotiating facilities within a plant without the need for a lot of transfer stations. In a typical application for this type of conveyor, TAKRAF recently supplied a material handling system for a new urea plant in Enid, Oklahoma. The system provided consists of five pipe conveyors, three troughed belt conveyors, one surge bin, one portal scraper reclaimer, and one truck/train load out station. TAKRAF pipe conveyors are employed in this plant to handle material that is extremely sensitive to contamination and in several instances, curved alignments allow for a more compact plant layout. In this layout, parallel pipe conveyors deliver material from the fertilizer plant to a 550-ton capacity bin. From there, another pipe conveyor distributes it to ei- ther a storage dome or new stockpile. The © 2018 Calumet Branded Products, LLC W W W . B E L R A Y . C O M M a i n t e n a n c e C o s t S a v i n g s D e c r e a s e D o w n t i m e E x t e n d C o m p o n e n t L i f e R e d u c e C o n s u m p t i o n O u t s t a n d i n g E x t r e m e P r e s s u r e , S h o c k L o a d a n d A n t i - W e a r P r o p e r t i e s Direct-drive assembly with TAKRAF-designed motor base frame and ABB direct-drive motor.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Engineering & Mining Journal - APR 2018